Content

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Paranoia Fairy Tales

“People ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself am strange and unusual.”
Lydia from Bettlejuice


Kissing or Eating

Glass doll eyes, possums, and butterfly wings on blindfolded girls.
Red Riding Hood holding ‘grandma’s’ cheek as she pours more wine.
Caterpillars crawling along eyelashes and a bug’s leg holding an eye open wide…

Slide into the world of Keiko Murakami where delicate doll like figures are printed into a startling world of creatures and night time beauty.
 Open your mind to ‘Paranoia Fairy Tales.’ 



Night Birds

Joining other artists at 69 Smith Street Gallery, Keiko’s illustrations jumped at me for the way her pen waltzed through the emotions of curiosity, fear, and love; all while holding onto a startling beauty tingling my spine.
 
How curious I was to see Red Riding Hood smothering ‘grandma’ with wine and licking her lips with grandma missing in the next drawing.
 ‘Kissing or Eating’ posed a girl with a possum in front of her lips. Held tightly in her grasp, the nails of the child are feline and sharpened. How beautiful the girl appears to be, how terrifying to think her mouth is opening wide for the furry animal. But, then again it could only be a kiss...


Let’s Drink more wine

Gazing into Keiko’s world framed along the walls, my mind skipped to childhood days of rewinding Beetlejuice or anything touched by Tim Burton. It was a budding fascination of all things hauntingly beautiful.
Those words are how I’d describe Keiko Murakami’s illustrations, but with a dash of humour. Her cute little girls step beyond the conventional pose and mingle with animals in such a way I tilt my head and wonder… 


Chrysalis


Who’s There

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something