Content

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Claire Taylor Contemporary. Metal Smith. Jeweler...

I have a strong nose and wide shoulders. Almost every night for a month in South EastAsia, I snuck out into the heat of a city lock down to visit the camps of Political Protestors. Some would call me strong. But, holding my lithe fingers and hearing my soft voice, some would call me delicate.
Strong and delicate are hard elements to blend, especially for jewelry, but winding down the twists and turns that are Melbourne, I came across one jeweler who seamlessly melded the two elements into her offerings of necklaces, and cuffs, earrings, and rings 


 Smooth gold and silver are engraved with the tiniest wisps of leaves and branches that encircle the finger. Emerald eyes of butterflies and owls stand out as the centerpieces of pendants hanging from long chains.
 Claire Taylor is a metal-smith and a jeweller embossing women with delicate designs catering to our femininity and strength . Her Smith Street Shop is not only where she displays her collection, but also where she hammers and saws at the metal smith table in the back of the store.
  Barcelona and Melbourne galleries have exhibited Claire Taylor’s designs for her concentration to detail and sculptural outlines. She redefines raw cuts of silver and gold into imitations of paper cranes or engraved geometrical symbols. Imaginatively, she redefines the idea of women’s jewelry by offering pieces that are beautifully delicate but strong and carry something of an ‘ancient heroism.’
Draping the silver chains over my head and allowing the pendants to fall against my chest, I felt a sense of adorning my body with jewelry that represented who I feel I am...who I want to be. And, with such dedication to a delicate & strong craft, the pieces can be handed down to my children's children, and represent how we want to be in the furture...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something