Content

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lady Petrova


"

























""What fuels me is dressing up...putting on a beautiful dress and feeling gorgeous. Wear a ball skirt to the supermarket if you feel like." ~ Lady Petrova
I want to wear a ball skirt, a violet one speckled with bits of glitter that the designer herself stepped from behind her counter wearing.
"Hello Beautiful." Lady Petrova welcomed me into her Flinders Lane shop with cute smiles, candy colours, and bits of princess lace trimmed on delightful dresses. Butterflies fluttered inside me...I feel like a girl again.
Petrova's 'prom dresses' have garnered a following of starry eyed girls for years. Proudly, I raise my hand as one of them. A lace dress gives the allusion of being spray painted, but is soft to the touch. A hand-painted skirt is overladen with sheer tulle. And, a yellow jacket dazzled with black stones, appears shocking, but is lovely on.


Her little shop holds all a girl needs to feel gorgeous. There are glitter shoes from Mel, jackets from House of Holland, pieces from the cult label Sretsis, flower printed tights, and of course a girl must not forget her jewelry.
"I have amazing new crysta l jewelry that I'm quite obsessed about," she gushes about the large amethysts crystals strung on a rope and chunks of the crystal on onyx knuckle dusters. It's the jewellery for a fairy tale princess who can take care of herself.
And, do you remember the Valentine's Day Candy shaped like hearts? Words like 'Wow' and 'Love Bug' were written in pink (until you nibbled them off). Well, Lady Petrova has a range of rings shaped exactly like that. I almost did a double take myself, asking for a bite of one of the treats.
So, how does a girl go about fashioning a career of making girls feel beautiful? It began when Petrova left university for the job hunt and was told she was 'too creative'. A fabric sale on Chapel Street sparked her 'too creative side' to spend all of her money on vintage lace. The bold move became her label Lady. She opened up her first shop and then it was off toProject Runway. After being a finalist, she renamed her label Lady Petrova.



Now, I'm not going to tell you what my favorite pieces are, least you wander in and pluck them up yourself. But, I will invite you to her shop yourself to pick out your (and hopefully not mine :) favourite pieces yourself. Her new Winter 2012 Collection will debut in May, but I say visit her shop before then for a lovely hello.
Lady Petrova is a treat and I'm not only referring to her designs. She herself is a fun sweetheart, and I still have stars in my eyes from her calling me 'Beautiful'.

One of the lovely things you notice in her shop is Evelyn Tarunadjaja’s drawings. The hand drawen nyphm girls grace the walls of the shop with long hair and little critters.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something